Doodlebutt recalled about 1,500 of its water-absorbing polymer toy products, Jelly BeadZ Jumbo BeadZ and Magic Growing Fruity Fun Toys because they are a serious ingestion hazard.. They can be mistaken by a child for candy. The toys can absorb from 300 to 500 times their weight in water and can grow up to eight times their original size.

When swallowed, they can expand inside a child's body and cause intestinal obstructions, resulting in severe discomfort, vomiting, dehydration and could be life threatening. Similar toys have not shown up on x-rays and needed surgery to be removed from the body.

No injuries have been reported. However, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is aware of one incident with a similar water-absorbing polymer ball product in which an 8-month-old girl ingested the ball and it had to be surgically removed and two cases outside of the U.S. with one death.

For more information, go the CPSC Website.

Have a question for the Healthy Kids panel? Ask it here.

Read more from the Healthy Kids blog »