Philadelphia will start 2017 with the annual Mummers Parade. The New Year's Day event on Broad Street means road closures and parking restrictions as the brigades set up and strut from City Hall to Washington Avenue. Public transit services also have adjusted schedules in place for the holiday weekend. Throw a Sunday Eagles game into the mix, and some planning might be in order. Here's what you need to know about traffic restrictions and public transportation for Thursday through Sunday.
TRAFFIC AND PARKING
• No parking on the east side of 15th Street from John F. Kennedy Boulevard to South Penn Square from Thursday at 6 p.m. until Monday at 7 a.m.
• Two eastbound lanes on 15th Street will be closed from JFK Boulevard to Market Street from 10 a.m. to noon; the street may be fully closed at times.
• No parking on the west side of 15th Street from JFK Boulevard to Ranstead Street from Friday at 2 a.m. until Monday at 7 a.m.
• Two eastbound lanes on 15th Street between JFK Boulevard and South Penn Square will be closed from Saturday at 10 a.m. until Monday at noon.
• 15th Street from JFK Boulevard to Chestnut Street and Market Street from 15th Street to 16th Street will be closed from noon to 6 p.m.
• No parking on Market Street or JFK Boulevard between 15th and 20th Streets from 4 a.m. Saturday until 8 p.m. Sunday.
• Market Street from 15th to 16th, 15th Street from Arch to Chestnut, and JFK Boulevard from 15th to 20th will all be closed from 3 a.m. until the Mummers Parade concludes.
• Broad Street from South Penn Square to Washington Avenue and Washington Avenue from 12th to 18th Streets will be closed from 7 a.m. until the parade concludes.
• Vehicles will not be able to cross Broad Street while the parade is underway.
• No parking on 15th Street between Arch Street and JFK Boulevard from 4 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• No parking on Chestnut Street between 16th and 18th Streets from 4 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• No parking on the 1500 block of Ranstead Street from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• No parking from 2 a.m. to 7 p.m. on the following streets (both sides unless otherwise noted): JFK Boulevard from Juniper Street to 15th Street (south side) and from Broad Street to 16th Street, Juniper Street from JFK Boulevard to South Penn Square, South Penn Square from Juniper Street to 16th Street (south side), Ben Franklin Parkway from 16th Street to 19th Street), Broad Street from Cherry Street to JFK Boulevard (west side), 15th Street from Race Street to JFK Boulevard, 16th Street from Chestnut Street to Race Street, 17th Street from the Ben Franklin Parkway to Ludlow Street, 18th Street from Race Street to Ludlow Street, 19th Street from the Ben Franklin Parkway to Chestnut Street, Cherry Street from 15th Street to 17th Street, Arch Street from 15th Street to 17th Street, Washington Avenue from 12th Street to 18th Street, and Broad Street from Arch Street to Ellsworth Street.
• And on the far south end of Broad Street, the Eagles face the Dallas Cowboys at Lincoln Financial Field at 1 p.m., so motorists should expect extra traffic in the stadium district as well.
• On New Year's Eve, Regional Rail will operate on a regular Saturday schedule with extra late-night service. Additional trains will depart Center City late Saturday night and early Sunday morning. On Monday, Regional Rail will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• The Broad Street and Market-Frankford subway lines will run all night, with a few additional trains starting in the late afternoon.
• Several bus routes will be detoured due to the Mummers Parade and set-up. Bus routes that will be detoured Saturday near City Hall are Routes 4, 16, 17, 27, 31, 32, 33, 44, 48, 124, and 125. Routes that will be detoured Sunday around Broad Street are 2, 4, 9, 12, 16, 17, 21, 27, 31, 32, 33, 38, 42, 44, 45, 48, 64, 124, and 125. More information is on SEPTA's website and on the @SEPTA_Bus Twitter account.
• Modified bus and trolley schedules, which are in place all week, will also be in effect on Monday.
• Full schedules are at SEPTA.org.
• Special schedules will run Friday, Sunday (including extra early-morning trains for those returning from New Year's Eve festivities), and Monday. Saturday trains will operate on a regular Saturday schedule.
• The agency will offer free rides on New Year's Eve, f0r the first time in its history.
• The River Line will operate on normal Saturday and Sunday schedules this weekend, with additional late-night trips for New Year's Eve. On Monday, the light rail route will run on a Saturday schedule.
• Rail lines are running additional trains from New Jersey to New York City for New Year's Eve.
• Full schedules are at njtransit.com.