Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

"I'm innocent," says woman charged in Bam Margera bat attack

"I'm innocent, and he's a 'Jackass' just like his movies," said Elizabeth Ray of the aggravated assault charge she is facing after allegedly hitting "Jackass" star Bam Margera in the head with a baseball bat early Saturday morning.

"He uses racial slurs, uses the N-word with black in front of it," Ray, 59, who is black, said of Margera, 30, who is white. "He called me the N-word," Ray said, when asked if she had any altercation with Margera on Saturday. She was arrested on S. Matlack Street in West Chester, the block on which she lives, after witnesses at the scene said that she had struck Margera in the head with a bat, according to West Chester Police.

Ray denied striking Margera with a bat or anything else around 2 a.m. Saturday next door to The Note (142 E. Market) a bar Margera co-owns. "I did not hit him, nobody hit him," Ray said of Margera, a pro skateboarder and star of MTV's "Viva La Bam." When we asked Ray if she knew how Margera was injured, she said he wasn't injured.

TMZ, which first reported the attack, has posted blurry photos of Margera being treated at the scene.

When we told her Margera spent the night in the hospital with a head injury, she said she had no idea how he'd been hurt. When we asked Ray why she and Margera were arguing, she said she didn't have anything more to say since she was facing charges and said she was working on getting a lawyer. Chester County court records show that Ray was convicted of a 1978 robbery and acquited on a 1992 aggravated assault charge.

Margera's mother April told us Sunday morning that her son had a concussion and a "big lump on his head," but was cleared to fly by doctors and would be flying off Sunday for the set of "Jackass 3-D," an upcoming film. April, who was not present for the incident, said "She hit him over the head with a baseball bat and she hit him while he was walking to his car. There was no fight. She's just crazy and gives him a hard time all the time," April said Sunday morning, adding how thankful she was that her son wasn't injured more seriously.

Calls and e-mails to Margera's publicist were not returned over the weekend.