5 stories to follow: April 16
Here's your daily look at five stories we're following:
1. PATCO station makeovers: The PATCO board will decide today whether to approve plans to overhaul stations. The makeover plans include adding a messaging system to display information about delays, installing video cameras and hiring SEPTA crews for escalator and elevator maintenance.
2. Union League country club: The Union League is slated to hold a membership meeting today to ratify a proposal to take over the Torresdale-Frankford Country Club in Northeast Philadelphia.
3. Wawa celebrates 50 years: Wawa is celebrating its 50th anniversary today. The convenience store chain is offering free coffee in honor of the occasion, and Mayor Nutter has declared April 16 "Wawa Day."
4. Aid for Asian voters: A coalition of advocacy groups are expected to file an anti-discrimination complaint today with the Philadelphia Human Relations Commissions, alleging that the city has not provided adequate language assistance to Asian voters who don't speak English well.
5. Sandy recovery poll: A new poll being released today says New Jersey residents are becoming less satisfied with the state's Superstorm Sandy recovery efforts. The Monmouth University/Asbury Park Press poll found that fewer than half of the poll respondents think the recovery progress is satisfactory.