5 stories to follow: April 25
Here's your look at five stories to know about before the weekend hits:
1. John Paul II's canonization: Former Pope John Paul II will become a saint on Sunday. A number of Philadelphians will be in Rome for his canonization or have had some kind of encounter with the future saint.
2. No charges in 'Tainted Justice' cases: Prosecutors have decided to not to file charges against four Philadelphia police officers accused of lying on search warrants and stealing from bodegas during raids. The officers were the subject of the Daily News' Pulitzer Prize-winning series, "Tainted Justice."
3. Forest fires: Authorities are working to control large forest fires in Ocean County. The blazes prompted some evacutions in the area and rain expected to move through the area today is likely to lower the risk of the fires spreading.
4. "Cash for kids" case: A developer connected to the "cash for kids" scandal in Luzerne County is scheduled to be sentenced this morning. Builder Robert Mericle faces eight to 14 months in federal prison.
5. Philadelphia Science Festival: The 10-day Philadelphia Science Festival kicks off today.