Here's your look at five stories we're following today and through the weekend:
1. PGW deal dead: Connecticut-based UIL Holdings Corp. has terminated its offer to buy Philadelphia Gas Works.
2. Defense pick named: President Barack Obama is set to officially name Ashton Carter as his choice for the next secretary of defense today. Carter is a Philadelphia native who graduated from Abington High School in 1972.
3. NAACP leadership: The Philadelphia NAACP is set to choose its next leader in a Saturday vote.
4. Sandy response: New Jersey lawmakers are scheduled to announce developments in the federal government's response to Superstorm Sandy today, potentially leading to more help for homeowners affected by the storm.
5. Tabernacle funeral: The three children fatally shot by their mother in a murder-suicide at their Tabernacle home are set to be laid to rest on Saturday.