Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Eagles slug it out in first half; Jordan Matthews getting X-rays

Aaron Rodgers and Carson Wentz dueled up and down the South Philadelphia turf in Monday night's first half, Rodgers and the Packers going to the locker room with a 14-10 lead. Both defenses went to the locker room desperately seeking answers.

Rodgers, his 4-6 team's season on the line, completed 17 of 21 first-half passes, for 142 yards and a pair of touchdowns. He also ran three times for 29 yards, each time picking up a first down.

Wentz, the rookie who aspires to be for this city what Rodgers is for Green Bay, completed 13 of 17 passes for 147 yards. He ran three times for 26 yards, picking up his first rushing touchdown and then keeping a drive alive that ended in a 48-yard Caleb Sturgis field goal just before halftime.

The most ominous development for the Eagles was the ankle injury Jordan Matthews suffered in the final drive before the half. Matthews went to the locker room for X-rays.

Each team mounted a crisp touchdown drive the first time it had the ball – first the Packers, 75 yards in 10 plays, including two Rodgers scrambles that gained 25 yards, with the Eagles playing man-to-man defense and nobody watching out for the QB. They got the TD on a 12-yard slant to Davante Adams.

The Eagles came right back, 81 yards in eight plays, Wentz finding Dorial Green-Beckham four times for 53 yards before scrambling in from the 1.

Green Bay was even more efficient with its second drive, 75 yards in nine plays, a beautiful 20-yard pass finding Davante Adams in the back of the end zone.

The Eagles' offensive line was shuffled yet again when right guard Brandon Brooks was hospitalized with an illness Monday, giving rookie Isaac Seumalo his first NFL start. Allen Barbre was already moving from left guard to right tackle, with Halapoulivaasti Vaitai injured, and Stefen Wisniewski was replacing Barbre. You could tell the group hadn't played or practiced together.