Five things to know about the Flyers today
Five things to know about the Flyers (20-11-4) as they face the host Devils (12-13-7) on Thursday night:
1. Will the Flyers go with New Jersey native Anthony Stolarz or give Steve Mason (on an 8-1-1 run) his 18th start in the last 20 games? Stolarz grew up rooting for the Devils and idolizing Martin Brodeur.
2. The Flyers want to go into the Christmas break feeling good about themselves. After tonight, they have four days off before practicing on Tuesday and then heading on a three-game road trip to St. Louis, San Jose and Anaheim.
3. All season, the Flyers have been among the NHL's elite on the power play, but they are in a five-game funk (0 for 13). Their penalty kill, keyed by Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, is 16 for 16 in the last six games, helping to overcome the PP struggles. Bellemare won 11 of 16 faceoffs (69 percent) in Wednesday's 3-2 shootout win over Washington.
4. The Flyers have reached the 20-win mark before Christmas for the first time since 2011-12.
5. The Devils (31 points) have a goal differential of minus-23, while the Flyers are plus-6. The Islanders (30 points) are the only Eastern Conference team with fewer points than New Jersey.