5 things to know today about the Flyers (9-10-3)
Five things to know about the Flyers (9-10-3) as they prepare to face visiting Calgary (10-12-1) on Sunday night:
1. The players currently on the Flyers' top line are in a funk. Claude Giroux is goal-less in his last eight games, Jake Voracek has one goal in his last 11 games, and Brayden Schenn has two goals in his last 14 games. Schenn did score in Saturday's 3-2 loss to the Rangers, and Voracek had six shots in the game.
2. Anthony Stolarz, an all-star last year with the AHL's Phantoms, is expected to make his NHL debut on Sunday. He will become the 17th New Jersey-born player to play in the NHL _ and the first goalie from the Garden State.
3. The Flyers had twice as many shot attempts (78-39) than the Rangers, but lost Saturday because of the excellence of Blueshirts goalie Henrik Lundqvist. The previous Saturday, they had a 70-29 domination in shot attempts, but lost to Tampa Bay and goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy, 3-0.
4. In two games since replacing the injured Sean Couturier as the Flyers' No. 2 center, Nick Cousins has won just 5 of 25 faceoffs (20 percent).
5. Calgary, which is without injured winger Johnny Gaudreau (Gloucester Catholic), has been getting great performances from goalie Chad Johnson, who is 4-1 with a .949 save percentage and 1.40 goals-against average in his last five appearances.