Five things to know about the Flyers today
Five things to know about the Flyers (19-11-4) today as they host Washington (19-8-3) at 8 p.m. Wednesday:
1. Flyers goalie Steve Mason, who starred during the team's recent 10-game winning streak, will be trying to erase some bleak playoff memories against the Capitals from last season, when he was 0-3 with a 4.09 goals-against average and .852 save percentage.
2. Washington has been a quick starter. The Flyers? Not so much. The Capitals have outscored opponents, 25-13, in the opening 20 minutes, and the Flyers have been outscored, 29-22, in the first period.
3. In 15 of 23 games this season, the Capitals' Braden Holtby has allowed two or fewer goals. In his last five games, Holtby has posted a 4-1-0 record with one shutout, a 1.78 goals-against average, and a .936 save percentage.
4. The Flyers, who are fourth in the NHL in scoring, have managed a total of two goals in the last two games. They lost both.
5. Justin Williams, a former Flyer, has a four-game points streak for Washington, which is 17-0 when it scores at least three goals.