Five things you need to know about the 76ers today:
1. Robert Covington has to be excited about starting over in the new year. That's because the Sixers small forward is shooting just 27.9 percent on three-pointers during the first 2 ½ months of the season.
2. Despite his shooting woes, Covington is one of the NBA's top defenders. His 1.61 steals per game rank 15th in the league.
3. Because he did not play Thursday night, Joel Embiid is no longer eligible to ranked among the league's shot blocking leaders. His 2.38 blocks per game would rank fourth in the league had he played in at least 70 percent on the Sixers games. Embiid has played in 67.7 percent.
4. Friday is the anniversary of one former Sixers standout Aaron McKie's two career triple doubles. He finished with 19 points, 10 rebounds and 14 assists on Dec. 30, 2000.
5. Sixers coach Brett Brown is excited to see what T.J. McConnell can do as the starting point guard Friday night against the Denver Nuggets at Pepsi Center. That's because the Sixers posted a 97-79 road victory over the Detroit Pistons in McConnell's lone start of the season