"We will pay back the loans."
- Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou, dismissing the possibility of delaying his country's debt repayments.
"I don't want to be the kind of CEO who's picking thread colors on jeans pockets, but the team needs me right now."
- Urban Outfitters Inc. chief executive officer Glen T. Senk, taking blame for disappointing quarterly results and promising a hands-on approach.
"The Federal Reserve has unilaterally taken it upon itself to levitate asset prices. It is suppressing interest rates. When you're not getting anything on your savings, you are inclined to go out and buy something, anything, to generate either income or the expectation of capital gains. So the things that we take as prices freely determined are in fact manipulated." - investment contrarian Jim Grant.
"We don't go out as much. That $20 that we could have used to go to a movie - now that money has been absorbed by the gas tank."
- Nicole Polite of Baltimore.
"It doesn't matter if candidates and parties are controlling the wrecking ball or simply standing aside."
- AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka, on why the labor group may pull support from congressional Democrats.
"We will miss his intellect, experience, and passion for the television business."
- NBCUniversal head Steve Burke, on the resignation of legendary TV executive Dick Ebersol from NBC Sports.
"Developing evidence of Iran's involvement with al-Qaeda regarding the events of 9/11 is like putting together a large jigsaw puzzle where many of the parts are missing and never will be found."
- lawyer Thomas E. Mellon Jr., who represents family members of Philadelphia-area victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.