DEAR ABBY: A friend's husband gave me a ride to the airport, and when I went to hug him goodbye, he grabbed me by the arms and kissed me on the lips. It made me very uncomfortable and I don't want to see him again. My problem is I don't know how to end my friendship with his wife. How should I handle this? She occasionally contacts me for lunch dates.

— Dismayed in Manhattan

DEAR DISMAYED: You're lucky the wife contacts you for lunch dates only occasionally. It means she's a casual friend, which will make disengaging easier. When she calls, all you need to do is tell her you have other plans.

DEAR ABBY: When my wife and I renewed our wedding vows after 25 years of marriage, I gave her a beautiful diamond band. I lost her 20 years later and put the ring aside.

My son had been living with a lovely girl for a couple of years. I gave him the ring and suggested he give it to her and propose.

My son presented it to her, she accepted and they were married. Sadly, after three years she divorced him. Should I contact her and ask for the return of the ring? I wanted the ring to stay in the family, and she has opted out of our family.

— Not Sure in New Jersey

DEAR NOT SURE: By all means contact your former daughter-in-law. She may agree to give the ring to you or sell it to you if she still has it. However, if there has been animosity since the divorce, she may not feel inclined to be gracious — so be prepared. .