HOW much do you know about dogs? Take this quiz and find out. Answers are at the end. Feel free to consult your dog if you're not sure.
1. Chasing cars, skateboards or other fast-moving objects is a form of what type of behavior?
d. both b and c
2. Dogs wag their tails when they are feeling which of the following emotions?
d. all of the above
3. Which of the following is not a reason that dogs mark territory with urine?
a. to indicate sexual availability
b. to warn other dogs off their territory
c. to get back at their owners for leaving them alone
d. to express their superiority to other dogs
4. Which number does not indicate a dog's normal body temperature?
a. 99 degrees F
b. 100 degrees F
c. 101.5 degrees F
d. 102 degrees F
5. Whiskers aid which of a dog's senses?
d. both a and b
6. Which of the following dog breeds is hypoallergenic?
b. soft-coated wheaten terrier
d. none of the above
7. "Coprophagy" is a term used to describe which behavior?
a. dogs who eat coffeecake
b. dogs who chase police officers
c. dogs who eat poop
d. dogs who dig for fossils
8. Which of the following terms has not been used to describe canine vocalizations?
a. the bells of Moscow
c. big bawl mouth
9. Which of these is not a reason that dogs dig?
a. to hide food for later use
b. to plant their own strawberries and tomatoes
c. to make a comfy bed
d. to find prey
ANSWERS: 1. d - Dogs react to territorial incursions by chasing the invader. 2. d - A dog's tail wag can mean many different things, depending on the tail's position and the speed at which it's moving. 3. c - Dogs with separation anxiety may urine-mark because they are nervous, but they aren't capable of complex emotions such as spite. 4. a - A dog's normal temperature ranges from 100 degrees Fahrenheit to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit. 5. d - Whiskers enhance a dog's senses of sight and touch by detecting air currents, sensing obstacles that might otherwise go unseen in the dark and transmitting information about an object's shape and texture. 6. d - All dogs, even hairless breeds, have allergens in their dander (dead skin cells), saliva and urine. 7. c. 8. d - A trill is more often attributed to cats. 9. b - The only planting dogs do is of bones.