Man killed by car in Northeast

Vincent Parisaino, 71, was killed Sunday night in the Northeast after police say he walked in front of a driver who wasn't able to stop his car in time.

The motorist was driving westbound on Rhawn Street near Horrocks shortly after 11:30 p.m., when, he said, Parisaino walked in front of his vehicle, police said. The victim died shortly after.

Man shot dead in Kensington

An unidentified man in his 20s was reported shot at 4 a.m. yesterday, police said. The man was shot one time in the chest while sitting inside a white Honda at Willard Street near Lee. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 4:40 a.m., police said.

Archdiocese feeding the kids

Nutritional Development Services of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia is sponsoring its annual Summer Food Service Program from now through Sept. 4. Last summer, more than 600 sites and 25,000 children participated in the program.

Participating sites can offer children lunch and a choice of breakfast or snack. Most Philadelphia and many suburban neighborhoods qualify. To sign up, contact Nutritional Development Services at 215-895-3470.

Drunken driver gets 20 to 40

Jose Maldonado-Luzuriaga, 35, who killed an employee of a Bensalem tavern with his pickup truck last Nov. 29, was sentenced yesterday in Bucks County to 20 to 40 years in prison.

Police said that Maldonado-Luzuriaga already was drunk when he was refused service at the Salute Restaurant and Bar. After an argument, he hit 30-year-old employee Billy Sullo with his truck and pinned him to a wall, killing him. Maldonado-Luzuriaga pleaded guilty yesterday to third-degree murder and aggravated assault.

Man 'critical' in Chester shooting

Miguel Carrion, 18, was in "extremely critical" condition yesterday after being shot in the head early Saturday morning at the Crosby Squares Apartments, in Chester.

Police said that more than 100 people were on the scene when they arrived but that no one reported having witnessed the shooting. Tipsters can call the

department's anonymous tip line at 610-447-7810.

5 rescued from fishing boat

The Coast Guard and New Jersey State Police rescued five people yesterday aboard the 60-foot scallop boat, Howard W. Sockwell, taking on water near the entrance to the Maurice River, in Maurice Cove, N.J.

A rescue boat crew from the Coast Guard Station near Fortescue, N.J., and a boat crew from the New Jersey State Police Marine Division arrived on scene and provided pumps to the crew.

Inquirer alum gets top spot

Neil Borowski, former reporter and editor for the Inquirer, has been appointed executive editor and content director of The Press of Atlantic City.

Press publisher Keith Dawn announced the appointment yesterday. Borowski succeeds Paul Merkoski, who is retiring after 20 years as executive editor. Borowski lived in Cherry Hill for 21 years while he worked in various reporting, editing and business positions for Inquirer. *

- Staff and wire report