Microwave, bottles thrown in Olney standoff

* Clarkson Avenue near Front Street

An Olney man who called 9-1-1 and claimed that there was a person stabbed in his basement held responding officers at bay in a five-hour standoff Saturday afternoon but was taken into custody without incident, according to police.

Around 12:40 p.m., the 51-year-old man, whose identity has not been released, called authorities and said that he had a weapon and that there was a person stabbed in the basement of his residence on Clarkson Avenue near Front Street, according to police. Once officers arrived on the scene, the man began throwing objects, including liquor bottles and a microwave, out of a window of his house, police said.

He told cops on the scene that there were children in the house and that he was going to blow the place up, but after a five-hour standoff, police were able to enter the residence without incident and found that the man was the only one in the house. He was taken for psychiatric evaluation.

Murder charges in shooting accident * Somerset Street near Amber, Kensington

A Kensington man is facing third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter charges after he accidentally shot a woman to death while showing off a gun at his home Saturday afternoon, according to police.

Robert Jones, 36, of Somerset Street near Amber, was showing Sandrea Smith, 35, what he believed was an unloaded firearm when it went off and struck Smith once in the head around 2:30 p.m., police said. Responding medics pronounced Smith, of 26th Street near Cambria, dead at the scene at 2:55 p.m., police said.

Cops search for shooting suspect

* Drexel Road near West End Drive, Overbrook Park

A man was critically injured in a shooting at a residence in Overbrook Park on Saturday, according to police.

Around 11:09 a.m., cops arriving at Drexel Road near West End Drive for a shooting report found a 27-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the left side of his chest at the top of a set of stairs in a residence. The victim was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where he remained Sunday in critical condition. Police said that the shooter, a 24-year-old man whose identity has not been released, is known to authorities but he remains on the run.

Man critically injured in DUI * Broad Street near Huntingdon

One person was critically injured when a drunken driver was hit by a cab in North Philadelphia early Saturday, police said.

Around 2 a.m., Eric Staley, 43, was driving his 2006 Lexus north on Broad Street when he made a left turn and was hit by a southbound taxi driven by a 56-year-old cabbie, according to police. A 41-year-old male passenger in Staley's car was taken to Temple University Hospital in critical condition. Staley and the cab driver were treated for minor injuries.

Staley was found to be driving under the influence of intoxicants and was charged with DUI and related offenses, police said.

- Stephanie Farr