IT WAS A WILD WEEKEND for the McGeehan clan in Northeast Philly after the family-run bar, McGeehan's Rock Bottom, became the scene of back-to-back shootings.

Yesterday, the fallout continued.

Police announced that John McGeehan, 55, has been charged with five counts of aggravated assault, possessing an instrument of crime, violation of the Uniform Firearms Act and related offenses after he allegedly showed up with two handguns - one in his waistband, one in his hand - and fired a round while police were investigating the first shooting at the bar early Sunday morning.

A police source said McGeehan is a bartender there, but his brother, former state Rep. Michael McGeehan, said John is a retired parole agent who had previously worked at the bar.

"I don't think he's employed there," said Michael McGeehan, a Democrat who left public office last year. "I can't tell you what happened. I guess we're going to find out in the coming weeks."

Michael McGeehan, who doesn't have a financial stake in the business, said the whole family was raised in the home on top of the bar at Cottage Street and Cottman Avenue in the city's Holmesburg section, near the Mayfair and Tacony borders. It's been in business for more than 80 years. His brother Patrick is the owner.

Police went to McGeehan's at 12:03 a.m. Sunday when a gunman outside started firing through the glass front door, striking a 23-year-old man inside and nearly hitting a bartender.

While that investigation was underway, John McGeehan allegedly showed up drunk with a .45-caliber Kimber and a .380-caliber Sig Sauer. He fired one shot that didn't strike anybody and initially refused police orders to drop the gun, according to Officer Christine O'Brien, a police spokeswoman.

Police were able to disarm McGeehan after a brief struggle. He was charged with five counts of each offense because five officers were in the area when the gun was fired, O'Brien said.

Police have questioned a 21-year-old man in the first shooting, but no charges had been filed as of last night. The man had been kicked out of McGeehan's after an argument with his girlfriend. Several minutes later, bullets were flying in from outside, but apparently no one saw who pulled the trigger. The gunman fled before police arrived.

"Until they can put the gun in his hand and show that he fired into that building, he's not getting charged," O'Brien said.

Michael McGeehan, speaking by phone from Florida, said he was trying to get answers himself. He said his brother John is unemployed and disabled.

"I'm going to help my family and let the justice system decide what course it takes from here," he said.