Two young women were slain and two men were critically wounded in three incidents over a two-hour period in the city this weekend.

About 10:39 p.m. Saturday, Juanita Arteaga, 27, was stabbed to death inside the boarding home where she lived on Cambria Street near 4th in West Kensington, police said.

By the time officers responded to a call about a person with a weapon, medics were already treating Arteaga for numerous stab wounds, said Sgt. Ray Evers, a police spokesman.

Arteaga, who was stabbed in her left arm, torso, right arm and back, was taken to Temple University Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 11:12 p.m.

Homicide Sgt. Bob Wilkins said up to seven people live in the boarding home, all of whom were questioned but who said they didn't see the crime.

Police believe that the slaying resulted from an argument but have not identified the suspect, Wilkins said.

Less than an hour later, Tamara Johnson, 21, was shot to death in a home on Mifflin Street near 22nd in Point Breeze.

Officers responding to a report of a person with a gun found Johnson, of Ellsworth Street near 21st, with a single gunshot wound to her chest about 11:24 p.m.

She was transported to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where she was pronounced dead at 1:22 a.m., Wilkins said.

Police have made an arrest in the case. The suspect allegedly lives at the home where Johnson was shot and he was allegedly on scene when police arrived, but Wilkins declined to release further details last night.

Two men were seriously injured after a shooting in Kensington early yesterday, police said.

About 12:17 a.m., a 36-year-old man was shot in his right heel and lower back and a 35-year-old man was shot in his wrist and jaw and suffered a graze wound to his head on Kensington Avenue near Lippincott Street, East Detectives Sgt. Tom Walsh said.

The men were transported to Temple University Hospital, where they were listed in critical condition, police said.

Witnesses said they saw the shooter running from the area. Police were able to stop the man, identified as Malik Ware, 36, of Tulip Street near Pratt, and he was brought back to the scene where he was positively identified, Walsh said. *