Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

"Sugar Daddy" now a "sexually violent predator"

Party host who assaulted women and girls is sentenced to 5 to 10 years in prison.

Tawfik Nakishbendi
Tawfik NakishbendiRead more

THE UNDERAGE GIRLS who attended booze-and-drug-fueled parties at Tawfik Nakishbendi's Manayunk home called him "Doc" and "Sugar Daddy," but the state has determined that "sexually violent predator" is a better moniker.

Nakishbendi, 65, a small, balding man, pleaded guilty in two sexual-assault cases in Common Pleas Court yesterday and was sentenced to five to 12 years in state prison and 10 years' probation. He was determined to be a sexually violent predator and will be required to register as such for the rest of his life, under Megan's Law.

Nakishbendi tried to give reason to his creepy actions by telling Judge Gwendolyn Bright that he was distraught after his wife's suicide in 2006 and sought "refuge in anything."

"I found myself lonely," he said. "And the only people I could hang around with were the young people who came to my house."

In 2010, Nakishbendi was charged with raping a 16-year-old girl at his house. He also took photos of the nude girl while she was sleeping, police said.

Nakishbendi also was accused of taking photos of four other nude 15- and 16-year-old girls and supplying them with drugs and alcohol.

During the day, Nakishbendi would take out the young girls - whom he called "wifeys" and "bunnies" - and would buy them jewelry, clothes and food, according to the mother of one of the young women who attended the parties. The mother spoke to the Daily News in 2010.

"That's why they called him 'Sugar Daddy.' Anything they wanted, he'd get for them," the mother said. "But they didn't realize he wanted something in return."

The kids also called Nakishbendi "Doc," although the man - who hails from Turkey and Syria - never practiced medicine in the United States.

Nakishbendi initially was jailed on $250,000 bail in that case, but in 2011 his bail was lowered to $50,000, which he posted.

While out on bail in 2013, Nakishbendi rented a room in his house to a 28-year-old woman. While that woman was incapacitated by drugs or alcohol, Nakishbendi surreptitiously took nude photos of her and sexually assaulted her, police said.

Nakishbendi was to be tried on both cases together in September 2013 - each side already had presented its opening arguments - when he chose to take a negotiated guilty plea for five to 12 years in state prison. His sentencing was delayed for more than a year because of required mental-health evaluations and Megan's Law assessments.