* "This is a very, very sad moment, certainly for Congressman Fattah and his family, and the others who were part of the indictment presentation today."
- Mayor Nutter
* "The breadth and depth of the indictment are just astounding and appalling. It's not just a one-time decision to cross the line."
- David Thornburgh, president of the Committee of Seventy
* "A lot of children are going to college because of him. It's sad. I understand he's resigned off the Appropriations Committee. Now we have nobody from the city of Philadelphia to watch our financial back."
- U.S. Rep. Bob Brady
* "The record in court of indicted Philadelphia politicians who claim innocence is not a good one."
- Brett Mandel, civic activist
* "The arrogance of incumbency has led to the culture of corruption in Philadelphia. Congressman Fattah is just another in just the last year to be indicted for putting himself before the people he represents."
- Joseph DeFelice, executive
director of the Philadelphia
* "It's really sad, the whole thing. It makes anyone who served in government feel bad. I feel like Chaka and his family have done a lot for Philadelphia."
- Former Gov. Ed Rendell
* "He's a good congressman. I think the old boys network, he got caught up in that. A lot of people like Chaka, 'cause he's grassroots. He identified with the downtrodden, that group of blacks that needed help."
- James Mack, West Philadelphia resident
* "The charges in the indictment against Congressman Chaka Fattah are deeply saddening. Congressman Fattah has been a tireless and effective advocate for America's hardworking families across more than 20 years of distinguished service in the House."
- U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi
* "I'm 38 years old, he's been in Congress since I was a kid. At the end of the day, who knows what these people do with the money?"
- Saadat Abdul-Mu'min, sidewalk vendor, 52nd and Market streets
* "The public expects their elected officials to act with honesty and integrity. The public does not expect their elected officials to misuse campaign funds, misappropriate government funds, accept bribes or commit bank fraud."
- U.S. Attorney Zane Memeger
- David Gambacorta