The attorney for the Temple University employee who first accused Bill Cosby of sexual assault a decade ago - and whose case could still be prosecuted - lashed out Thursday against the former Montgomery County district attorney for saying there have been inconsistencies in the woman's allegations since he declined to charge the comedian in 2005.
In an open letter to Bruce L. Castor Jr., lawyer Dolores Troiani lambasted Castor's handling of the claims of her client, Andrea Constand, and criticized his more recent statement to reporters about Cosby.
She also questioned Castor's reaction to a Sunday article in The Inquirer reporting that Cosby could still be charged with a crime.
"We have watched you appear on various media outlets engaging in blatant revisionist history," Troiani wrote. "We demand that you retract your statement concerning Ms. Constand and issue the apology to her that is 10 years overdue."
The letter marked a rare public comment from Troiani related to Cosby since Constand settled a civil lawsuit against the comedian in 2006. Both Constand and her lawyer have been bound by a confidentiality agreement about the case.
Castor said Thursday that he will not apologize, calling the accusations "complete nonsense."
"I don't apologize for making decisions based upon the law and the evidence," he said in an interview. "Do I wish that there was evidence [in 2005] that would have supported the arrest of Cosby? Yeah."
In reaction to Sunday's article in The Inquirer, Castor wrote in a social-media post that Constand's statement to police differed from the allegations in her civil lawsuit.
"Troublesome for the good guys. Not good," Castor wrote on Twitter and Facebook.
Troiani fired back Thursday by sending The Inquirer her open letter, cosigned by her co-counsel Bebe Kivitz.
"It appears that it is your intention to create an issue regarding our client's credibility," the letter states.
Castor said Thursday he doesn't believe Constand lied, but inconsistencies between her statement to police and those she laid out later in her civil lawsuit could prove problematic should the investigation be revived.
"The fact that they are different creates a headache for the good guys, the prosecutors, because it creates a credibility problem in court," he said.
District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman has neither confirmed nor denied whether her office is reconsidering Constand's case that Castor closed.
However, in a statement last week, she said prosecutors have "a responsibility" to review decisions if new information could lead to a different conclusion.
Constand reported to police a decade ago that Cosby drugged and molested her in his Cheltenham mansion in 2004. Castor, who was district attorney at the time, declined to charge Cosby, citing a lack of evidence to back up Constand's allegations.
But legal experts have said her case may have grown stronger over the years since as more than 40 women have come forward to accuse Cosby of sexual misconduct and Cosby's own description of his relationship with Constand in a 2005 deposition has been recently released.
Troiani has declined to comment on the possibility of new criminal charges against Cosby.
The comedian's lawyers have repeatedly denied that he assaulted Constand or any other women and insisted that his interaction with Constand was consensual.
Troiani first expressed anger toward Castor in 2005 - a point she revisited in her letter Thursday.
The lawyer said she and Constand learned of Castor's decision to decline prosecution in 2005 from reporters, rather than from Castor, a move her letter called "a conscious decision to disregard the complainant."
Castor said he faxed his 2005 news release to Troiani before it went to the media.
In her letter Thursday, Troiani accused Castor of declining to charge Cosby due to his own political aspirations and changing his stance as public opinion shifted and allegations against Cosby began making headlines again in November.
In 2005, she said, he called the case weak; in recent months he has said he thought Cosby was guilty.
Castor, in turn, questioned whether politics factored into Troiani's decision to issue the letter.
He left the district attorney's office in 2008 and is now a county commissioner. Castor, a Republican, is running again for district attorney this fall against First Assistant District Attorney Kevin Steele, a Democrat.
"If I thought that there was a better than even chance of convicting Cosby I would not only have arrested him, I would have put the handcuffs on him myself and been the guy in court trying the case," Castor said Thursday.
But the decision of whether to charge Cosby now will be left to Ferman, who is running for county judge this fall. Both the statute of limitations on Constand's allegations and Ferman's term as district attorney expire in January.