A Montgomery County woman was charged Wednesday in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, who police said ate her mother's prescription medication.
Police said Christina Griffith was in a Motel 6 in King of Prussia last July when some of her medications fell to the floor and her daughter ate them.
Griffith, 35, of Collegeville, did not seek immediate medical treatment for her daughter, Trinity, officials said. The charges against Griffith include involuntary manslaughter and endangering the welfare of children.
Griffith "was reckless and grossly negligent in failing to seek treatment for Trinity Griffith, which she had a legal parental duty to do, thus she is responsible for her daughter's death," Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele said in a news release announcing the charges.
Trinity was found dead by police at the motel on July 30.
The county Coroner's Office found that Trinity died of drug intoxication. Steele said toxicology tests showed that the girl had Subutex, a medication to treat narcotic addiction, and Klonopin, an antianxiety medication, in her system.
Griffith was arraigned Wednesday and is being held at the Montgomery County prison on $500,000 bail.