An Oxford Circle man wanted in connection with a July shooting was shot and killed by a federal marshal Monday morning.

Members of the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force were conducting surveillance on the 1300 block of Hellerman Street, seeking to serve Kenneth Robledo, 28, with an attempted-murder warrant.

Officers saw Robledo leave through the rear door of a home around 10 a.m. with a woman, said Jim Burke, assistant chief deputy at the U.S. Marshals Service in Philadelphia. When officers approached Robledo, he pointed a gun at them and was fatally shot by a marshal, Burke said.

Burke said the marshal who shot and killed Robledo was not placed on leave, adding that the situation was "cut and dry." A weapon was recovered, he said.

The marshal's name was not released.

About 1 p.m., investigators moved across the street to a home that had been listed as Robledo's last known address on a wanted poster released by Philadelphia police in October.

An absorbent powder was soaking up the blood at the shooting scene when a woman who identified herself as Robledo's aunt was the first family member to arrive.

"I knew he was wanted," said the aunt, who said she did not want her name used. Soon, others arrived, visibly distraught, and yelling at police and one another.

"Shut up! Just shut up!" one woman yelled at her son, who was glaring at police.

When Robledo's mother, Shirley Beal, arrived, she went directly toward police.

"Where's my son at?" Beal screamed while running toward them. She was told the body had been taken to the Medical Examiner's Office.

Later, Beal said that the last time she heard from her son, he told her that he loved her and did not want to live anymore.

Beal said she had recently started having a bad feeling about him.

When police were finished searching the home, Beal and other family members were allowed to remove items, bringing out plastic totes filled with sneakers and book bags.

Beal clutched photos to her chest, sobbing, and told reporters that Robledo was "kindhearted."

He was also private, she said, and had gotten rid of his phone after their last conversation.

"He had the biggest heart," she said. "I never got to hug him one last time."

Police Lt. John Stanford said Robledo was wanted in a July 21 shooting on the 400 block of West Huntingdon Street in North Philadelphia. Stanford said Robledo allegedly got out of a vehicle and fired six or seven shots at a man sitting on stairs.

The woman who was with Robledo was taken in for questioning but no charges were immediately filed.

215-854-5916 @jasonnark