Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Police: Armed man confronts officers at scene of Tacony bar shooting

A McGeehan's patron was hurt when a man allegedly shot into the bar on Cottman Avenue in Northeast Philadelphia. A second man who fired a shot at the scene and pointed a gun at investigating officers was also arrested, police said.

A man was taken into custody after allegedly shooting into a Northeast Philadelphia bar early Sunday, wounding a patron. A second man who fired a round at the crime scene and pointed a gun at investigating officers was also arrested, police said.

The incident began when a 27-year-old woman entered McGeehan's at 4401 Cottman Ave. and ordered a drink, according to investigators.

She was soon joined by her 21-year-old boyfriend, who tried to get her to leave. He became angry when she refused, yelling and cursing until bar staff ordered him out, police said.

Several minutes later, around midnight, he allegedly fired a volley of gunshots through the bar's glass front door.

One round struck a 23-year-old man in his arm; a second hit a mirror close to where a bartender was standing, police said.

The alleged gunman fled before officers arrived but later turned himself in to authorities at the Northeast Detective Division, according to investigators.

The victim's injuries were reported to be non-life-threatening.

As officers were on the scene investigating, a 55-year-old man pulled up, having received a phone call about the shooting, police said.

He allegedly exited his vehicle with a loaded .380-caliber Sig Sauer P226 in his hand.

The gun discharged once in the area where police and witnesses to the initial shooting were standing, investigators said.

The man then allegedly leveled the gun at officers who were approaching him.

Police said he refused to drop the firearm, touching off a struggle as the officers physically disarmed him.

He kept his finger inside the trigger guard for the duration of the scuffle, according to authorities.

Officers were eventually able to take the man into custody without incident, recovering both the Sig Sauer and a .45-caliber Kimber pistol that was loaded with nine rounds and tucked into his waistband, police said.

His license to carry firearms was expired, according to investigators.

Police did not immediately release the identity of either suspect or specify what charges would be filed against them, saying only that an investigation remained ongoing.