Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Rapper Beanie Sigel shot at Jersey Shore

Rapper Beanie Sigel was in critical condition after being shot this morning in Pleasantville, N.J.,

Philadelphia-born rapper Beanie Sigel in 2007. (Clem Murray/Inquirer)
Philadelphia-born rapper Beanie Sigel in 2007. (Clem Murray/Inquirer)Read more

Rapper Beanie Sigel was in critical condition this afternoon after an altercation erupted into gunfire this morning in Pleasantville, N.J., police said.

A bullet hit Sigel's abdomen and exited through his back, said Pleasantville Chief Jose Ruiz. The rapper, whose real name is Dwight Grant, was found about 9:25 a.m. inside a home on the 800 block of Spruce Ave.  A

Ruiz said investigators were waiting to question Sigel about the shooting. Another injured man found at the home was uncooperative. The second man, who refused medical treatment, was believed to be a friend or relative of Sigel's, Ruiz said.

"He hasn't offered anything," Ruiz said, "and we're waiting for Mr. Sigel to be able to speak to us."

Investigators found ammunition and bullet casings outside the home.

Sigel's longtime attorney, Fortunato "Fred" Perri Jr., said the rapper lives in Pleasantville, and was shot after he returned home from dropping his kids off at school.

"From what I've heard, he was not the intended target," Perri said.

Sigel had been eyeing a return to the music business, and was set to take part in an upcoming concert, he said.

"He's certainly matured from some of the things that he was involved with when he was much younger," Perri said. "I'm a bit heartbroken. He seemed like he was about to start moving his life in the right direction."

Photos on Sigel's Instagram account this week showed the rapper recording in a small sound studio and wearing an electronic monitoring bracelet.

Sigel, 40, has had a long history with the law. In 2003, the rapper was charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault after allegedly firing six shots at a nightclub door. Two people were injured. He was later aquitted. In 2005, he served 10 months in prison on weapons counts.

In 2006, Sigel was shot multiple times during a robbery in Philadelphia but was able to drive himself to a hospital for treatment.

In August, he moved to a halfway house after serving a two-year federal prison term for tax evasion. Sigel had been scheduled to be released from the halfway house tomorrow.

Two weeks before he was scheduled to report to the federal prison - and hours after the release of his sixth album, This Time - Sigel was arrested on drug and gun charges during a traffic stop on I-95 in Delaware County. He later pleaded guilty to possessing a controlled substance.

This is a developing story.


Michael Boren is an Inquirer staff writer.

David Gambacorta is a Daily News staff writer.

Sam Wood is a staff writer.