Call it a case of love at first delayed flight.
According to a new study, Philadelphia International Airport is the top U.S. airport for "meeting that special someone."
Unfortunately, that's because it's one of the worst for timeliness.
About a third of all flights are late, and the average delay is about an hour, according to the news release for the study, which was conducted by research firm StrategyOne for deodorant body spray purveyor Axe and Sperling's BestPlaces.
With 16 bars, seven lounges and 57 restaurants, Philly International has plenty of places to eat, drink and make friends.
Such encounters are not unusual, the study says. "Nearly one in 10 adults has personally gone out or knows someone who has gone out with someone they met at the airport or during a flight," it states.
Other top-rated airports for meeting: Newark, JFK, LaGuardia and Washington-Dulles.
Atlanta and Chicago's O'Hare rank low despite having lots of travelers. "These airports have amenities, but relatively few for the number of passengers which pass through their gates," said Bert Sperling, president of Sperling's BestPlaces, a firm that gathers information that helps people decide where to live. "... A potentially enjoyable time could turn into a frustrating wait for a table or service."
The release even offers tips for handling airport connections.
"Since there's no mutual friend to vouch for you, it's always better to just ask for the person's e-mail," says Johnny Jet, editor-in-chief of travel Web site JohnnyJet.com, "But don't ask for it in the first 15 minutes of meeting someone because you can use that time waiting for your flight as an opportunity for them to get to know you."
Here's the list:
Airport "Connection" Rankings
(1) Philadelphia International (PHL)
(2) Newark International (EWR)
(3) John F. Kennedy International (JFK)
(4) Washington-Dulles International (IAD)
(5) La Guardia International (LGA)
(6) Port Columbus International (CMH)
(7) Detroit Metropolitan (DTW)
(8) Logan International (BOS)
(9) Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW)
(10) San Francisco International (SFO)
(11) Lambert-St. Louis International (STL)
(12) Cincinnati International (CVG)
(13) O'Hare International (ORD)
(14) Minneapolis/St. Paul International (MSP)
(15) Miami International (MIA)
(16) Seattle Tacoma International (SEA)
(17) Pittsburgh International (PIT)
(18) Hartsfield International (ATL)
(19) Washington National (DCA)
(20) Baltimore/Washington International (BWI)
(21) Denver International (DEN)
(22) San Antonio International (SAT)
(23) Hopkins International (CLE)
(24) Houston Hobby (IAH)
(25) San Diego International (SAN)
(26) Portland International (PDX)
(27) Kansas City International (MCI)
(28) Houston Hobby (HOU)
(29) Sacramento International (SMF)
(30) Tampa International (TPA)
(31) Midway International (MDW)
(32) Sky Harbor International (PHX)
(33) Los Angeles International (LAX)
(34) Orlando International (MCO)
(35) McCarran International (LAS)
(36) San Jose International (SJC)