Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Father’s Day ends with five shot dead in Phila.

Father's Day ended violently tonight with four people - two women, a 50-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy - gunned down about two hours apart in different parts of the city.

Father's Day ended violently tonight with four people - two women, a 50-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy - gunned down about two hours apart in different parts of the city.

The first shooting happened at 7:21 p.m. in the 2200 block of Wanamaker Street in the city's Overbrook section.

Police said they believed a 60-year-old man shot two women, a 31-year-old who died at the scene and the other, described as the shooter's 55-year-old girlfriend, who was declared dead at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Their names were not released.

According to neighbors, the man shot the younger woman on the street and then went inside to go after the victim's mother. He shot her in the head, then walked away, neighbors said.

Their neighborhood, a few blocks from St. Joseph's University, is filled with single homes and is normally a quiet area.

Police said that a man whom they described as a "person of interest" was apprehended several blocks from the home. He was being interviewed last night.

The next shooting was reported at 8:15 p.m. in the 6200 block of North Smedley Street, in the Ogontz section of the city.

Police said a 17-year-old boy was shot in the head and declared dead at the scene by rescue units. His name was not released.

Those homicides were followed by another about 9:20 p.m. in North Philadelphia.

Initial reports were that a 50-year-old man was found shot twice in the abdomen on the 100 block of West Westmoreland Street. He was taken to Temple University Hospital, where he was pronounced less than half an hour later. No other details were immediately available.

Another shooting about the same time on the 7300 block of Ogontz Avenue reportedly left three people with serious injuries. All three were taken Albert Einstein Medical Center.

Last night's violence was preceded by another homicide hours earlier in Hunting Park.

Police said a man opened fire about 1 a.m. today inside La Quinta Restaurant & Bar at Fifth and Courtland Streets. The gunfire resulted in one fatality and the wounding of five people.

The dead man was described as 30 years old. Police would not release his identity because his family had not been notified. There was no word on a suspect or a motive for the shootings.

La Quinta, just off Roosevelt Boulevard along a busy corridor in Hunting Park, was closed today, with metal grates over the windows. No signs of a crime scene remained.

The state Liquor Control Board fined the bar $2,000 last year for several violations, including serving alcohol past 2 a.m. on a Sunday and allowing patrons to leave with alcohol.

Calls made to the bar and its owner today were not answered.

That shooting was the second associated with a city bar in a week.

On June 14, several gunfights erupted outside a North Philadelphia bar, and a police officer was wounded as he was responding to the scene.

Last Monday, the city closed the Franchise Sports Bar, on Broad Street at Somerset, after the shooting there that left Police Officer Ashley Hoggard and three other people wounded.

The gun battle began after a man was shot near the bar's rear exit. After that shooting, a surveillance camera inside the bar recorded someone handing out firearms to several men, who then left. Two men have been arrested in that case, but neither has been charged with firing the bullet that hit Hoggard.