Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Police ID 4 Father’s Day homicide victims

Police this morning released the names of two women and two men slain by gunfire in Philadelphia in three incidents that left seven others wounded on Father's Day.

Police this morning released the names of two women and two men slain by gunfire in Philadelphia in three incidents that left seven others wounded on Father's Day.

A fifth shooting death, involving a teenager, turned out to have been accidental, police said.

A man was taken in custody in connection with the murders of the women, which took place shortly before 7:30 p.m. in the 2200 block of Wanamaker Street in the city's Overbrook section.

The victims were Renee Farrow Nesmith, 55, who lived at that address, and Rafeea Parker, 31, of the 5000 block of Jackson Street.

Nesmith was declared dead at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Parker died at the scene.

According to neighbors, the man shot Parker on the street and then went inside to go after Nesmith. He shot Nesmith in the head, then walked away, neighbors said.

The younger woman was not related to Nesmith, contrary to word on the street last night, police said.

Their neighborhood, a few blocks from St. Joseph's University, is filled with single homes and is normally a quiet area.

An arrest of a "person of interest" was made several blocks from the home last night, police said.

Who he is and what he's being charged with should be forthcoming later today, said police spokeswoman Christine O'Brien.

About 1 a.m. yesterday, a man opened fire inside La Quinta Restaurant & Bar at Fifth and Courtland Streets, killing Damien Aguilar, 35, of 4000 N. Eighth St., police said.

Treated at Temple University Hospital were a man, 30, shot in the right leg; a man, 30, shot in the foot, a man, 26, shot in the stomach; and a female, 31, with a graze wound of the arm.

Another man, 34, was treated at Einstein Hospital for a shoulder wound.

Another woman had her elbow grazed by a bullet, but did not seek medical treatment, O'Brien said.

There was no word on a suspect or a motive for the shootings.

La Quinta, just off Roosevelt Boulevard along a busy corridor in Hunting Park, was closed yesterday, with metal grates over the windows. No signs of a crime scene remained.

The state Liquor Control Board fined the bar $2,000 last year for several violations, including serving alcohol past 2 a.m. on a Sunday and allowing patrons to leave with alcohol.

Calls to the bar and its owner yesterday were not answered.

About 9:20 p.m., a 55-year-old man was found shot twice in the abdomen on the 100 block of West Westmoreland Street in North Philadelphia.

He was taken to Temple University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead less than a half-hour later.

Police identified him this morning as Harry Cummings of the 3300 block of North Second Street.

Also taken to Temple was a second person, who was in stable condition after being shot in the head, O'Brien said.

She could not, however, confirm a Fox29 report that a suspect was hospitalized after another possible case of "vigilante justice."

Earlir this month, the suspect in the rape of a young girl was beaten by angry citizens before the man's arrest.

At 8:24 p.m., a 17-year-old boy was pronounced dead of a gunshot wound to the head in the 6200 block of North Smedley Street, in the city's Ogontz section.

Because the case was an accident and the victim was a juvenile, his name will not be released, police said.