A man living in a Glassboro motel died Christmas morning in a fire, officials said.

The Glassboro Fire Department was called to the Royal Inn on South Delsea Drive when residents smelled smoke at 8:10 a.m.

The Glassboro Fire Department extinguished the fire with dry chemicals and found the man, who was pronounced dead at the scene. Police identified him as Walter White, 52, an "intermittent" resident of the motel.

An autopsy by the Gloucester County Medical Examiner's Office is scheduled for Monday. The fire is under investigation by the county prosecutor, along with fire officials from the county and Glassboro.

Evidence of smoking was found in the room, according to an official statement.