Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Seven injured, 1 dead in Philly shootings Thursday

A wild Thursday night across Philadelphia ended with eight people shot, one of them fatally, as well as five police officers injured while breaking up bar fights.

Quasay Johnson, 31, was shot dead outside his West Oak Lane home just after 12:30 a.m. Friday. Police believe Johnson received a phone call that drew him out of his apartment on the 7000 block of N. 15th Street. When Johnson arrived in the vestibule of his building, witnesses told police they heard arguing, then gun shots. Johnson, hit three times in the chest and in the arm, was pronounced dead on the scene. Two men were seen running from the entrance to the building, but no arrests have been made.

Earlier Thursday in Brewerytown, two 18-year-olds were injured on Myrtlewood Street shortly before 9 p.m. in shooting police believe was sparked by an dispute. A man was in critical condition at Hahnemann University Hospital Friday after being shot in the arm, leg and torso; he is expected to survive. A woman, who police said was not involved in the argument, was treated at St. Joseph's Hospital for a graze wound to her face.

At 9:40 p.m. in North Philadelphia, a 52-year-old man had just left his girlfriend's house and was standing on the corner of 9th and Brown Streets when he was caught in a hail of bullets from a nearby shooting. The man, described by police as an innocent bystander, was in stable condition Friday at Hahnemann.

Around 2 a.m., two police officers were injured in separate incidents.

Shortly before closing time at Lid's Lounge, on the 6200 block of Woodland Avenue in Southwest Philadelphia, an officer went to the bar to eject a man who had been asked to leave. The man was belligerent and shoved the officer against the bar, police said. Three officers then arrived to assist. The man struggled with them, then grabbed bottles and began throwing them, breaking several and hitting at least two officers in the head, police said. The officers arrested the man and were treated for cuts. All have been released. By Friday afternoon, the man was still not identified.

Just after 2 a.m. Friday in the Northeast, an off-duty police officer at Benny the Bum's was attacked by two men in the parking lot, police said. Police were uncertain how the officer became involved in the altercation. A responding officer saw the off-duty officer on the ground being kicked in the face by two men. The men were arrested but their names had not been release as of Friday afternoon. The officer was treated for a fractured skull at the Torresdale campus of Aria Health.

At 2:30 a.m. Friday in Olney, four people were hurt in a fight at the Banana's Bar and Lounge, on Rising Sun Avenue. The unidentified gunman fled the scene. The victims - a 25-year-old woman and three men, 27, 28 and 31 - were in stable condition with a variety of gunshot wounds at Albert Einstein Medical Center, police said. Investigators are still sorting out whether any of the people injured were actually involved in the fight.