A Clayton man accused of fatally stabbing the father of two children during a "road rage" incident in Deptford last month is facing first-degree murder charges, authorities announced Wednesday.

Everett Moore
Salem County Jail
Everett Moore

Everett E. Moore Jr., 54, a construction worker, was arrested Wednesday morning at a service station in Williamstown for the death of Joseph Pirri, 32, of Blackwood. Pirri was attacked in his car on Tanyard Road, near Mail Avenue.

At a news conference Wednesday, Pirri's family, including his wife, Megan, joined Gloucester County Prosecutor Charles A. Fiore as he announced the arrest. Megan Pirri, choking back tears,  thanked investigators and described her husband as selfless, kindhearted, caring, and loving.

"Joe always had a smile on his face and was truly and genuinely a happy person," Pirri said in a prepared statement she read. "He would always cheer you up, his smile being so contagious and infectious that even on a bad day you couldn't help smiling back at him."

Fiore said Pirri did not know his attacker, and the road-rage incident is not typical of Gloucester County. That day — March 7 — he said, Gov. Murphy had declared a state of emergency as a nor'easter dropped heavy snow throughout the region. Pirri, Fiore said, was just trying to get home when he crossed paths with Moore.

After the attack, Moore fled to his home while Pirri went to nearby homes seeking assistance, Fiore said. Pirri, severely slashed in the face, was able to describe the attacker as well as the incident, Fiore said. The Prosecutor's Office, which had the assistance of eight other law enforcement agencies, used video collected from 20 South Jersey locations to help piece together what happened, authorities said.

Moore was driving a white and tan Ford F-150 King Ranch pickup registered to his wife. Both drivers were traveling south on Tanyard, when Moore allegedly illegally passed Pirri and pulled in front of the Versa, which was stopped on Tanyard, authorities said. Moore allegedly got out of his truck and attacked Pirri while he was in his car, authorities said. There were no passengers in either vehicle.

Pirri, hospitalized since the attack, was pronounced dead at Cooper University Medical Center in Camden on March 15.

Moore was taken into custody Wednesday by officers of the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office, the U.S. Marshal's Service, and the Monroe Township Police Department. In addition to murder, he is charged with two weapons offenses. He remained in jail Wednesday pending a detention hearing scheduled for Thursday.

A GoFundMe page, describing Pirri as a "good guy" who would give his last dollar to help another, has been created to help Pirri's family with financial matters. According to the page, Pirri had a 4-year-old son and a 9-year-old stepdaughter.

Last month, authorities asked for the public's help in finding the pickup driver, giving a description of the assailant and detailed description of the vehicle that had a crew cab and toolbox mounted in the bed. Aided by the 20 videos provided, police traced the driver's path through Glassboro and into Clayton.

Investigators are still seeking information from witnesses who may have seen the vehicles in traffic or witnessed the assault. Anyone with information is asked to call county detectives Warren Rivell at 609-685-7396 or John Gigante at 609-929-7679.

Information can also be e-mailed to the Prosecutor's Office at tips@co.gloucester.nj.us.