Despite appeals from some people in the stadium to "Tase him," security personnel at Tuesday night's Phillies game removed the second fan to run on the field in two nights the old-fashioned way.

They waited until he got tired, surrounded him, and walked him off the field.

Phillies officials have decided that method is preferable to the one a Philadelphia police officer used Monday night, when he fired a Taser at a 17-year-old fan in center field, creating another moment sure to live in the city's sports infamy.

From now on, Phillies security will be responsible for catching any fans running onto the field, the organization said Wednesday.

Security personnel then will turn the field jumpers over to police for "handcuffing and subsequent charging," the team said.

Police officers stationed on the field will offer their assistance only "if greater force is necessary," according the team's statement.

Steve Consalvi, a high school senior from Berks County, was the first fan to be Tasered on the field at a Phillies game in Philadelphia and possibly anywhere else. The officer's actions became the day's hottest sports topic, sparking a national debate.

The Phillies reacted to Monday's Tasing by saying the team would discuss with police "whether in future situations this is an appropriate use of force under these circumstances."

Police Commissioner Charles H. Ramsey defended the officer, saying the Taser may be used to prevent a suspect from escaping arrest. Consalvi had managed to avoid the officer and several security guards as he darted around the outfield.

Reaction among fans has been divided. While no one, including Consalvi's family, would defend his actions, many argued the Tasing was excessive.

Ramsey said Tuesday afternoon that he had spoken with Phillies officials, but that nothing had been decided.

"Do they want our people going on the field, or do they not want our people to go on the field?" he said. "We can sit down and discuss that."

The commissioner was not available Wednesday to comment on the Phillies' statement, said Lt. Frank Vanore, a police spokesman. "Our reaction is we will continue to support the Philly sports teams inside and out" of the stadiums, Vanore said.

The Phillies' statement said police had "agreed" to the new arrangement.

Scott Zeigler, Steve Consalvi's stepfather, welcomed the Phillies' decision.

"I'm encouraged to hear that they have reviewed their policy and determined that there are other ways to handle these types of situations," he wrote in an email to Inquirer late Wednesday. "In my opinion they made the right decision. I commend the Phillies organization for addressing it so quickly."

The policy was in effect Tuesday night when Thomas Betz, a 34-year-old Warminster man, jogged into the outfield during the top of the ninth inning. Phillies security stopped him, and no police officers went onto the field.

Officers volunteer for overtime duties such as working parades, ball games, and other public events. Their names are placed in a rotation, or "wheel," used to dole out the assignments.

During ball games, officers are stationed inside and outside the stadiums, but Vanore would not disclose how many.

The Phillies reimburse the city for the overtime paid to officers inside the stadium, Vanore said.

Only a portion of the department's almost 6,000 officers are trained and authorized to carry a Taser. The officer who Tasered Consalvi had been trained as part of the department's Crisis Intervention Team, which deals with the mentally ill.

That officer just happened to be working the game.

Most commonly, field jumpers, as the Phillies refer to them, are tackled by security and police; a few field jumpers at football games have been crushed by players.

Betz, who did not have Consalvi's youthful stamina, did not have to be tackled. He was on the field only for a short time before he lumbered halfheartedly toward a Phillies employee. The employee held out his hand, and Betz stopped.

As several employees escorted Betz along the warning track, Phillies rightfielder Jayson Werth approached and appeared to have some choice words for the intruder.

Betz and Consalvi are facing disorderly-conduct and defiant-trespass charges.

Betz also faces a marijuana-possession charge. He apparently forgot, police said, to take a bag of the drug out of his pocket before interrupting the game.

Meanwhile, Consalvi's attorney, Steven O'Meara, said in a statement that Consalvi was sorry. The statement did not mention the change in policy.

"Steven and his family wish to apologize to all Philadelphia Phillies fans, the entire Philadelphia Phillies organization, players, staff, and security, as well as the Philadelphia Police Department for what occurred that evening," O'Meara said in the statement. "Steven knows that he committed a foolish act and is truly sorry for his actions. He and his family are grateful that no individuals were injured during this incident. His family hopes and prays that people will understand that teenagers do impulsive things. This young man has never been in trouble before and has learned a valuable lesson."

Inquirer staff writers Bob Brookover and Trish Wilson contributed to this article.