Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

2nd teen charged in Delaware Valley Charter High School shooting

A second teenager is being charged in connection with Friday's shooting at Delaware Valley Charter High School that left two students injured.

Philadelphia police said today that 18-year-old Donte Walker, a 2013 graduate of the school, is accused of being the source of the firearm used by 17-year-old Raisheem Rochwell.

Rochwell turned himself in Saturday to face charges including aggravated assault and weapons offenses. He is being charged as an adult.

Police say video footage shows Walker giving a gun to an unidentified male in exchange for money just prior to the shooting, which happened around 3:30 p.m. Friday. The gun was then handed to Rochwell in the school's gym area, police said.

Walker allegedly concealed the gun when he entered the school, located at 5201 Old York Road in the city's Logan section. He did not have to pass through metal detectors to get into the building, police said.

Police said Rochwell may have requested a gun because he was reportedly going to be the target of an after-school assault.

Amato Sanita, an attorney for Rochwell, told reporters this weekend that the teenager "is not the person who will ultimately be responsible for this act," according to the Associated Press. Sanita implied that the shooting was an accident, saying "this is nothing that involves anything intentional."

Walker faces firearms and conspiracy charges.

In what police described as an "intense scene" Friday, an 18-year-old female student was shot in her left arm. After the bullet exited her bicep, it struck a 17-year-old male student in the shoulder. They were taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center for treatment.

Police said the suspects fled the school building after the incident.

A 15-year-old male student was taken into custody shortly after the shooting, based on information provided by school security and other officials, but investigators concluded that the teenager wasn't involved.

Classes will resume Tuesday, after the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. A message on the school's website says security will be heightened and mental-health personnel will be available for students and staff.

"We are thankful that our students are in good condition and recovering from this unfortunate incident," the message says. "We will continue to be committed to making sure that the safety of our children and staff is taken seriously inside and outside of school."