Police yesterday continued their investigation of a fire that killed a 5-year-old girl left alone in a Southwest Center City rowhouse Monday night.

Firefighters found Tyania Garrick unconscious on the third floor of the three-story rowhouse in the 1900 block of Carpenter Street. The fire marshal said an unattended pan of grease left on the kitchen stove had caused the blaze, which was reported about 8 p.m. Two children and seven adults lived in the house, officials said.

Although several smoke detectors were found, none worked, Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers said. The girl was the 27th fire death in the city this year. In almost every case, there were no working smoke alarms, Ayers said. - Nancy Petersen