The two-alarm fire that killed the owner of an Italian Market bread shop in her upstairs apartment was caused by a pot left cooking on the stove, Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers said yesterday.

Firefighters found no smoke alarms in the home, at 935 S. Ninth St., he said.

Domenica Lombardo, 50, died of smoke and soot inhalation in the Wednesday blaze, the Medical Examiner's Office said. Her death was ruled accidental.

Lombardo, who was called "Sunday," the English translation of her first name, operated the House of Bread on the ground floor of her building.- Joseph A. Gambardello