Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

New charges for 'Bonnie and Clyde'

The Center City couple accused of identity theft dodged news cameras as they surrendered to face burglary charges.

Jocelyn Kirsch, 22, hides in a parka as she turns herself in. Photos of Kirsch have circulated widely since her arrest.
Jocelyn Kirsch, 22, hides in a parka as she turns herself in. Photos of Kirsch have circulated widely since her arrest.Read moreNBC10

The duo dubbed the "Bonnie and Clyde" of ID fraud kept their profile low and public interest running high yesterday as they dodged camera jockeys and reporters to turn themselves in on burglary charges.

Investigators say Jocelyn Kirsch, 22, and Edward Anderton, 25, raised cash for a globe-trotting lifestyle by stealing identities, some of them from neighbors in their Center City condo. They had been free on bail after being arrested Friday on charges including forgery, identity theft, and unlawful use of a computer.

The two, scheduled to appear at a preliminary hearing on the charges today, were being processed last night on burglary charges.

Meanwhile, the world couldn't seem to get enough of their story, or at least of Kirsch, a senior at Drexel University.

Photographs of her looking, well, very well endowed went up on Web sites worldwide. There was Kirsch with her arms around French soldiers and her boyfriend, and of her flirting with the camera. The Brisbane Times of Australia posted one of her naked in a bubble bath.

The couple's travels to such places as Hawaii, Paris, and the Turks and Caicos Islands apparently inspired the actress in Kirsch. She seems to have struck enough coquettish poses to hold observers' interest for days.

Her boyfriend, a 2005 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania whom she calls Eddie, has been looking duller by the day. So much so that it prompted one reporter to ask an investigator whether Kirsch may have led Anderton astray.

"No," Detective Terry Sweeney responded emphatically. "It was a meeting of the minds."

Still, as the media teams huddled together in the cold outside the Central Detective Division yesterday, it was Kirsch they truly wanted to see. But they were out of luck. Neither half of the couple followed the schedule handed down by police: 4 p.m. surrender at Central Detectives.

Kirsch, concealed in a heavy parka, slipped into Police Headquarters, at Eighth and Race Streets, shortly before 4 p.m. Anderton was a surprise drop-in at the Fourth Police District, at 11th and Wharton Streets, about 30 minutes later. Police transported him to Central Detectives.

"We called the D.A.'s Office because we read the press clips that there were going to be other charges," said Ronald Greenblatt, Kirsch's Philadelphia attorney, as he left headquarters.

When asked by a reporter whether Kirsch was conceding that she had stolen identities, Greenblatt nodded slightly.

"People do this," he said. "They lose their center. It is usually not people who go to Penn or Drexel."

Kirsch's and Anderton's legal troubles may be just beginning. They still could face federal charges.

"We have been talking with the Philadelphia Police Department and with the Attorney General's Office," FBI spokeswoman Jerri Williams said yesterday. A decision on whether to file federal charges could come as early as late this week, she said.

The world can wait, as long as the photos keep coming.