Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Six men killed in weekend violence

Police Commissioner Charles H. Ramsey said the crime spree across the city was "not good."

Philadelphia police are investigating the deaths of six men killed between Saturday morning and last night, all victims of violence.

Police have no suspects in custody in a crime spree that Police Commissioner Charles H. Ramsey had two words for yesterday: "not good."

The job today, Ramsey said, will be to look at "anything that we can do to maybe make the situation less likely" to recur. Among factors that will be explored, he said, is whether the killings occurred in any of the city's designated high-crime areas and, if so, whether enough officers are assigned there.

In the most recent death, a 32-year-old man was shot in North Philadelphia after an argument.

Police responded to the 2400 block of West Clifford Street, where Anthony Stevenson had been shot once in the abdomen. Stevenson was taken to Hahnemann Hospital, where he died at 8:02 p.m. There were no suspects last night, police said.

Earlier in the day, a 46-year-old driver for Germantown Cab Co. was found shot in the head in his taxi in the 1800 block of North 20th Street in North Philadelphia at 9:26 a.m. He was pronounced dead four minutes later. Police expect today to release his identity and details of the shooting.

At 3 a.m. yesterday, Chon Kim, 62, of Edison, N.J., was found shot once in the chest in the 5400 block of North Fifth Street in Olney. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 3:26 p.m.

The first of Saturday night's victims, Terron Epp, 20, of Upper Darby, was found with gunshot wounds at 6:11 p.m. at 57th Street and Haverford Avenue in West Philadelphia. Epp was pronounced dead at 6:29 p.m. at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

Five hours later, James Corry, 19, was found dead at his home in the 2600 block of Hobson Street in Southwest Philadelphia. He had been shot multiple times in the head and once in the shoulder, police said.

Also, a male victim who had been found shot in the head around 1:30 a.m. yesterday at 52d and Webster Streets in Southwest Philadelphia was reported in critical condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, police said.

His identity and age were not available.

Shortly before 3 a.m. Saturday, police found Timothy Haines in his vehicle in the 3500 block of North Marvine Street in North Philadelphia.

He was pronounced dead at the scene of gunshot wounds.