Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Residents object to plan to put duck boats on Schuylkill

About 100 people who went to a meeting at the Central Library of the Free Library Wednesday night had one thing to say: They don't want duck boats on the Schuylkill.

About 100 people who went to a meeting at the Central Library of the Free Library Wednesday night had one thing to say: They don't want duck boats on the Schuylkill.

"I don't think you've heard a single person welcome a duck tour on the Schuylkill, and I hope that's the message you'll take back. We don't want it," Jovida Hill told Managing Director Richard Negrin near the end of the evening.

The Schuylkill Park Alliance, an advocacy group, hosted the meeting to let residents share their thoughts on a plan to move the ducks from the Delaware River to the Schuylkill in the spring.

The proposed shift was prompted by the July 7 duck accident on the Delaware that killed two people. In October, Mayor Nutter and Ride the Ducks, the Georgia company that operates the amphibious vehicles, announced plans to have them return to the water, but on the Schuylkill.

Since then, the city has said it was seeking proposals from Ride the Ducks and other companies because the law requires a competitive process. The proposals are due next week, and Negrin said it was possible no one would be selected.

"I want to be really clear," Negrin said. "No decision has been made. There is no plan at this point."

Many speakers feared the vehicles would disrupt the quiet Schuylkill Park, which has become so popular that people used its recreational path for more than 2,200 trips daily this summer.

Negrin and Ride the Ducks officials had previously described building a trench that would go under the path, but on Wednesday, Negrin said none of that was certain. The proposed new route would go through Old City, along the Parkway, and enter the Schuylkill near the Art Museum.

The Delaware River tour, which was suspended after the accident, includes loud music and passengers "quacking" with kazoos.

"Who wants to listen to that when you're running and trying to ride your bike or when you're lying on the grass and reading your book?" asked Ginny Nelson, who lives near the park.

Negrin said city officials had written the request for proposals to require the tour operator to minimize noise, but Kathryn Streeter Lewis said such language only proved "there will be some noise."

Neal Nandi, who works for the Constitutional Walking Tour, a local tour company interested in getting the ducks contract, said the city had initially given potential bidders only 15 business days to analyze the opportunity. The deadline has since been extended by three days, but Nandi said it was not enough time to analyze a complicated project and raised questions about whether city officials really wanted companies besides Ride the Ducks to apply.

Brian Abernathy, Negrin's chief of staff, said such time frames were typical in the city. Philadelphia officials expect to name the companies that bid on Jan. 9. Officials from the Managing Director's Office and the Departments of Commerce, Parks and Recreation, and Transportation will be involved in picking the winner.

Carol Katarsky, who lives near the park, said the ducks would disturb a beloved park while doing nothing for the neighborhood near the Art Museum. Passengers will not get off the vehicles to shop or eat in the area, she said.

"Why are we being asked to absorb this with no benefit to our community?" she asked.

Negrin responded, "People like the ducks." But he also said the city was open to something other than the ducks that allowed people to see Philadelphia from the water. The Schuylkill Park Alliance offers boat tours of that river, but they are nowhere near as frequent as the duck trips.

Residents at the meeting worried that the estimated 60 duck vehicles a day would clog traffic around Eakins Oval.

On July 7, a K-Sea Transportation Partners tug pushing a barge owned by the city crashed into a duck on the Delaware, killing tourists Szabolcs Prem, 20, and Dora Schwendtner, 16.

The duck stopped in the Delaware after its captain saw smoke coming from the engine. Capt. Gary Fox radioed for help and issued warnings over marine channels, saying he had no power. He also asked the tug to change course. The tug's first mate, who was at the helm, has refused to be interviewed by the National Transportation Safety Board.

The Coast Guard is waiting for results of the NTSB investigation into the accident, which is not expected to be completed until next year. If the NTSB determines that the duck vehicle design contributed to the passengers' deaths, the Coast Guard could request design changes or declare the ducks unsafe and bar them from the water.

In August, U.S. Rep. Bob Brady (D., Pa.) said he believed the duck vehicles were "not safe for either our streets or our waterways" and urged the Coast Guard to deny Ride the Ducks permits.

Lawyers for the accident victims have argued that the canopy on the duck hindered escape, but Ride the Ducks spokesman Bob Salmon said the canopies protected passengers from the impact of the barge. He also said that the Coast Guard had approved his company's plan to return to the Delaware but that the firm wanted to switch to the Schuylkill.

"The question remains, why did these calls go unanswered and why won't the first mate cooperate in the investigation?" Salmon said.