Injured former football player sues school district over concussion
WEST CHESTER A former West Chester East High School football player is suing the school district, claiming his coach didn't take proper precautions when he sustained a concussion during a 2010 game.
William Croce, in the suit filed last week in federal court, said the coach put him back in the game after he complained about head pain. Croce, who is 19 and now lives in Naples, Fla., said he still experiences persistent problems from the injury, including ones with sleeping, eating, memory loss, and academic performance.
The suit also accuses West Chester Area School District officials of fighting the implementation of an individual learning plan for Croce.
School Superintendent James Scanlon said Monday that he couldn't comment on ongoing litigation. But he said the district takes the safety of its athletes very seriously and noted that the district in 2009 became one of the first in the area to conduct an impact concussion measurement system.