Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Three Phila. women shot and wounded in separate incidents

Philadelphia ended the year with three women wounded in two separate shooting attacks on New Year's Eve, police said.

Philadelphia ended the year with three women wounded in two separate shooting attacks on New Year's Eve, police said.

Shortly after 4:15 p.m. in the 4400 block of North Seventh Street in Hunting Park, two women were injured by shotgun blasts fired by a 40-year-old man standing on his porch, police said.

A 29-year-old woman suffered wounds to her face, neck, and shoulder and was transported to Temple University Hospital. A 58-year-old woman was struck in the shoulder and was transported to Einstein Medical Center.

Both women were listed in stable condition.

Police said the man, who may suffer from mental illness, was arrested and the shotgun was recovered.

Shortly after 10 a.m., a 75-year-old woman was shot in the face during a robbery in the 7100 block of Erdrick Street in Mayfair, police said.

The woman was taken to Aria Health-Torresdale Campus and was reported in stable condition.

The robber, who remained at large, took the woman's purse.

Earlier, three people were killed and a home invasion suspect was wounded in separate shooting incidents across the city over a 12-hour period.

A 21-year-old man was fatally shot about 12:20 a.m. Thursday in North Philadelphia.

Police said the man was apparently riding a bike when he was shot on the 3100 block of North 25th Street. He was found unresponsive in the street on the 2500 block of West Clearfield Street, police said, and taken to Temple University Hospital. He was pronounced dead there at 12:40 a.m.

The victim's name was withheld pending gfamily notifications. The motive for the shooting remained unknown and no arrests have been made.

In a separate violent incident, a suspect in an armed home invasion accidentally shot himself in North Philadelphia, police said.

Around 11:15 p.m. Wednesday, two armed men entered a home on the 2500 block of North Bancroft Street.

A 38-year-old woman told police that the intruders pointed guns at her head and demanded money. The took her iPhone 5 and $380 from her purse, police said.

One of the suspects also threatened the woman's 7-year-old son, police said, telling the boy to "stop crying and get back in the room" while pointing a gun at the child.

The suspect, a 23-year-old man, then shot himself in the left leg as he tried to put his gun into his pants, police said.

The two intruders fled and officers later found the wounded suspect in the emergency room at Penn Presbyterian.

The victim was taken to the hospital, where she identified the suspect, police said.

The suspect was in custody but had not been formally charged as of Thursday morning. His name wasn't released.