GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba - A military judge denied a request yesterday by lawyers for a Guantanamo detainee seeking immediate access to the admitted mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks and two other imprisoned top terrorism suspects.
The judge, Navy Capt. Keith Allred, cited "security obstacles" in turning down the request from attorneys for Salim Ahmed Hamdan, a driver for Osama bin Laden.
The defense hoped to have Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and two other so-called high-value detainees at Guantanamo testify to show their client was not a hard-core member of al-Qaeda and should not be prosecuted under the U.S. military tribunal system, said Charles Swift, one of the lawyers.
Their goal, Swift told the court, was to interview the people with the "absolute knowledge" of al-Qaeda operations. "We are seeking the detainees who basically would know," he said.
The main military prosecutor, Army Lt. Col. William Britt, argued that the high-value detainees are held under such tight security that he had never spoken to any of them and that the defense would have to secure special security clearances.
Allred said he would allow the defense to have access to another Guantanamo detainee, a Moroccan who was captured in Afghanistan with Hamdan.
Hamdan, a Yemeni, has been charged with conspiracy and supporting terrorism.
The developments came as the U.S. Supreme Court met to consider the broad rights of Guantanamo prisoners. The Supreme Court showdown revolves around whether Guantanamo prisoners can challenge their detention in U.S. civilian courts.
A legal challenge by Hamdan prompted the Supreme Court last year to throw out the previous rules for military tribunals.
Air Force Brig. Gen. Thomas Hartmann, the legal adviser to the military tribunal system, said the timing of the hearings in Guantanamo and Washington was coincidental.