WASHINGTON - An Army inquiry has found that perhaps hundreds of remains at Arlington National Cemetery have been misidentified or misplaced, in a scandal marring the reputation of the preeminent burial ground for the nation's honored dead.
Army Secretary John McHugh announced Thursday that the cemetery's two civilian leaders would be forced out and that he has appointed a new chief to conduct a more thorough investigation to examine the graves and sort out the mix-up.
"I deeply apologize to the families of the honored fallen resting in that hollowed ground who may now question the care afforded to their loved ones," McHugh told a Pentagon news conference.
Arlington National Cemetery is considered among the nation's most hallowed burial sites, with more than 300,000 people buried there with military honors. Among those buried at the cemetery are troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as service members from past conflicts dating back to the Civil War.
An Army inquiry was launched last year after reports of employee misconduct, first reported by Salon.com.
Led by the service's inspector general, Lt. Gen. Steven Whitcomb, the investigation found lax management of the cemetery, where employees relied on paper records to manage the dozens of burials each week and maintain thousands of grave sites.
He said that at least 211 remains were identified as potentially mislabeled or misplaced and that there could be more. "We found nothing that was intentional, criminal intent, or intended sloppiness that caused this," he said. ". . . But of all the things in the world, we see this as a zero-defect operation."
Whitcomb could not say how old the mixed-up remains might be or from what conflict, saying only that the problem had been confined to three areas of the cemetery known as Sections 59, 65, and 66.
Whitcomb said he found two cases of mismarked graves in Section 60, the area for veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan. He said those mistakes had been corrected.
Separately, the Army is investigating whether the cemetery's deputy superintendent, Thurman Higginbotham, made false statements to service investigators. He ran the day-to-day operations at the cemetery and is now on administrative leave, pending further review.
Higgenbotham's boss, John Metzler, is to retire July 2. Service officials say he is being pushed out with a letter of reprimand that blames him for failing to rein in Higginbotham's mistakes.
Taking their place will be Kathryn Condon, a former civilian head of Army Materiel Command, who as executive director will be in charge of fixing any burial errors. Patrick Hallinan, of the Veterans Affairs Department, is temporarily being assigned as the cemetery's superintendent.
Family members with questions are urged to call the cemetery at 703-607-8000.