NEW YORK - Police officers and FBI agents began tearing apart a New York City basement Thursday as part of a decades-old investigation into the disappearance of 6-year-old Etan Patz, whose case made a generation of parents afraid to send their children out alone.
Etan vanished without a trace on May 25, 1979, after leaving his family's Manhattan apartment for a short walk to catch a school bus. It was the first time his parents had let him go off to school alone.
The building being searched is about a block from where the family lived, in the borough's SoHo section, and is along the route that the boy would have taken on his walk to the bus stop.
Police spokesman Paul Browne said a forensic team would dig up a floor and search through the rubble for blood, clothing, or human remains. The work is expected to take as many as five days.
He wouldn't say what evidence led investigators to the property, but a law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Associated Press that at the time of the boy's disappearance, the building housed the workspace of a carpenter who was thought to have been friendly with the boy.
In the last few months, the official said, investigators had received information that Etan's remains might be buried in the basement. Then, within the last few weeks, an FBI dog indicated the possible presence of human remains in the space, prompting the decision to dig.
The official spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing. Two other law enforcement officials confirmed that an FBI dog had detected the scent of remains.
Etan's disappearance was a media sensation in 1979. The press attention helped fuel a national movement to publicize the cases of missing children. Etan's face was among the first to appear on milk cartons. President Ronald Reagan declared May 25 National Missing Children's Day.
Etan's parents, Stanley and Julie Patz, became outspoken advocates for missing children. For years, they refused to change their phone number, in the hope that Etan was alive somewhere, and might call. They never moved.
Stanley Patz didn't respond to phone calls and e-mail messages Thursday. A man who answered the buzzer at the family's apartment, just down the street from the building being searched, said they would not be speaking to the media.
No one has ever been prosecuted for the crime, but in recent years Stanley Patz sued an incarcerated drifter and admitted child-molester, Jose Ramos, who had been dating Etan's sitter around the time he disappeared. Ramos denied killing the child, but in 2004 a Manhattan judge ruled him to be responsible for the death, largely due to his refusal to contest the case.
Ramos is scheduled to be released from prison in Pennsylvania in November, when he finishes serving most of a 20-year-sentence for abusing an 8-year-old boy. His pending freedom is one of the factors that has given new urgency to the case.
He is not the carpenter whose old workspace was being searched.