Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

In the Nation

Suspect tied to more killings

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A man found dead of an apparent suicide in an Alaska jail was not only suspected of killing an Anchorage barista, but also killed a Vermont couple and may be linked to five other possible slayings around the country, investigators said.

Israel Keyes, who had also confessed to killing a Vermont couple, was found dead in his cell Sunday, authorities said at a news conference that included U.S. Attorney Karen Loeffler, the FBI, and Anchorage police.

Keyes was to stand trial in March in Anchorage federal court for the slaying of 18-year-old Samantha Koenig, who was abducted from a coffee kiosk in the city last February. He was later arrested in Texas after using the victim's debit card.

Anchorage Police Chief Mark Mew said Keyes confessed to killing Koenig, as well as Bill and Lorraine Currier, of Essex, Vt.

The bodies of the Curriers have never been found. They were last seen leaving their jobs on June 8, 2011. Coworkers reported them missing the next day.

Authorities in Vermont held a news conference Monday saying they confirmed Keyes was responsible because he described details investigators had not released to the public.

Keyes didn't have a clear pattern in victims, who ranged widely in age, authorities said. Money appeared to be just a partial motive. - AP

Heavy rain seen for Calif.

SAN FRANCISCO - Northern California residents recovering Monday from a series of wet, windy storms likely won't get much of a break as another system is expected to drench the area.

Up to 5 more inches of rain could fall in the region beginning Tuesday, the National Weather Service said.

The rain could be especially heavy at times in areas north of Redding and across the Sierra Nevada, meteorologist Dan Keeton said.

Still, it should be nothing like the downpours that left 15 to 20 inches of rain in some areas over the five-day period that ended Sunday. - AP

Explosives cleanup in La.

DOYLINE, La. - The cleanup of 3,000 tons of explosives haphazardly stored at a munitions plant has frayed the nerves of residents who evacuated. It also forced the closure of the high school and prompted a criminal investigation of the company that owns the materials.

Authorities said about half of the town's 800 residents had heeded requests that they leave during the cleanup that started Saturday, but some appeared to be returning.

State police say some of the propellant was found spilling out of boxes crammed into buildings. They are investigating why the materials were not stored in bunkers at the state-owned site, leased by Explo Systems. - AP