Barbara Walters to retire in 2014
NEW YORK - Barbara Walters is retiring.
The veteran ABC News anchor is set to announce Monday morning on The View that she will retire from TV journalism during the summer of 2014.
ABC said in an announcement late Sunday that, until then, Walters will continue to anchor and report for the network, anchor specials throughout the year, appear on The View, the talk show she created in 1997, and where she will continue to be executive producer.
Walters, 83, has spent 37 years at ABC News. Before that, she spent 15 years at NBC News. - AP
Boy, 12, held in stabbing death
VALLEY SPRINGS, Calif. - Authorities have arrested the 12-year-old brother of an 8-year-old girl who was mysteriously stabbed to death at her home in a rural Northern California community last month.
The boy, who was not identified, will be charged with homicide, according to Calaveras County Sheriff Gary Kuntz.
The April 27 attack on Leila Fowler shook the Valley Springs community of about 7,400 people and set off a massive manhunt.
The boy had told police he found his sister's body and encountered an intruder in the home while their parents were at a Little League game. However, police said there was no sign of a burglary or robbery. - AP
Wounded vets compete
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Britain's Prince Harry and Olympic swimming champion Missy Franklin joined an American naval officer who had been blinded in Afghanistan in launching the Warrior Games for wounded service members.
Lt. Bradley Snyder, Harry, and Franklin lifted a torch Saturday to ignite an Olympic-style cauldron, after completing the last leg of a brief torch relay at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs to formally start the games, which run through Thursday.
About 260 athletes are competing in basketball, volleyball, shooting, archery, track and field, and swimming - Snyder's sport. Britain sent a 35-member team, and the prince, a combat helicopter pilot, met with athletes earlier in the day. - AP
Gunfire at parade; 19 hurt
NEW ORLEANS - Gunmen opened fire on dozens of people marching in a Mother's Day second-line parade in New Orleans on Sunday, wounding at least 19 people, police said.
The FBI said that the shooting appeared to be "street violence" and wasn't linked to terrorism.
Many of the victims were grazed and most of the wounds weren't life-threatening, according to a police news release. The victims included 10 men, seven women, a boy and a girl. Second-line parades are loose processions in which people dance down the street, often following behind a brass band. - AP