BEIJING - At least 59 people were missing Monday, a day after a massive landslide buried dozens of buildings when it swept through an industrial park in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen.
The official Xinhua news agency said the landslide buried 33 buildings in the industrial park in Shenzhen, a major manufacturing center in Guangdong province across the border from Hong Kong.
Shenzhen's public security bureau posted a notice online saying at least 59 people were missing. No deaths were reported.
Xinhua said an area of more than 650,000 square feet was covered with up to 20 feet of mud, according to geological experts at the site.
Li Yikang, the deputy secretary general of the Shenzhen city government, said at a televised news conference that more than 900 people had been evacuated. He said that nearly 1,500 people were involved in rescue efforts.
State broadcaster China Central Television, or CCTV, said that there was a residential area next to the industrial zone, and that the buildings buried included two dormitories for workers.
Ren Jiguang, the deputy chief of Shenzhen's public security bureau, told CCTV that most people had been moved to safety before the landslide hit.