Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Cops: N.J. carjacker sparked three-state chase

Police have arrested Trent S. Talley, of South Jersey, for allegedly leading police on a three-state chase in a stolen medical transport vehicle.

Police have arrested a South Jersey man who allegedly led police on a three-state chase in a stolen medical transport vehicle Thursday.

Police said Trent S. Talley, 29, walked up to the vehicle when it was outside Twin Oaks Community Services, a mental health facility in Mount Holly, shortly before 3 p.m.

He allegedly asked the driver, "Do you want to die today?" before forcing his way inside and speeding off.

Police said Talley drove north on Interstate 295 through Westampton, Burlington, Florence and Bordentown townships before getting onto the New Jersey Turnpike.

There, he fled from state police after they signaled for him to stop, according to investigators.

Talley continued south on the turnpike and crossed into Delaware, where he eluded Delaware State Police, authorities said.

Shortly after 5 p.m., the stolen vehicle's owner called Maryland State Police and told them that, per GPS tracking information, the vehicle was on Interstate 95, near the Maryland House rest stop, police said.

Maryland state troopers caught up with Talley on I-95 in the Baltimore area, but he again refused to stop and accelerated, continuing south, police said.

Officers deployed stop sticks, deflating two of the vehicle's tires and causing Talley to slow, according to authorities.

Just before Talley entered the Fort McHenry Tunnel, state troopers boxed him in using a "rolling roadblock" technique, investigators said.

Although three police cars and the stolen vehicle were damaged, no injuries were reported.

Talley, of Cinnaminson, was arrested and taken to University of Maryland-Harford Memorial Hospital for a mental health evaluation.

Charges against him in Maryland are pending.

He is expected to be extradited back to New Jersey to face charges of first-degree carjacking, theft of a motor vehicle, theft of property, and terroristic threats, police said.