READING - Three girls are dead after they were trapped on the third floor of a two-unit house by a fast-moving blaze apparently started by unattended cooking, officials said Thursday. The victims of the early-morning blaze were ages 7 to 12, Reading Fire Chief William Rehr III said. The fire started in the apartment's second-floor kitchen, at the base of the stairs, he said.

The girls' mother and a man were hospitalized in critical condition after being badly burned, Rehr said. Investigators identified them as Brenda Angel, 39, and Lucien White, 27. Neighbors said that Angel had to be rescued from the roof, and that White had to be restrained from running back into the burning structure. - AP