Republican vice presidential nominee Mike Pence says he cannot defend the remarks made by Donald Trump that were caught on tape in a 2005 video released Friday by the Washington Post.

"As a husband and father, I was offended by the words and actions described by Donald Trump in the eleven-year-old video released yesterday," Pence said in a statement released on Twitter. "I do not condone his remarks and cannot defend them."

Pence released the statement amid calls for Trump to step down as the Republican presidential nominee. Trump was defiant to reporters on Saturday, insisting he would "never" abandon his race for the White House.

"The media and establishment want me out of the race so badly," Trump tweeted Saturday afternoon. "I will never drop out of the race, will never let my supporters down!

"Zero chance I'll quit," Trump told The Wall Street Journal. He told The Washington Post: "I'd never withdraw. I've never withdrawn in my life."

Pence had been scheduled to appear with Trump at a scheduled campaign rally in Wisconsin with House Speaker Paul Ryan, but later pulled out. Trump also pulled out of the event after the release of a video where Trump is heard making lewd and graphic comments about women.