David Beaver, 92, formerly of Bala Cynwyd, a retired sales representative and financial adviser who won a Bronze Star and Purple Heart for his service in World War II, died June 11 of prostate cancer at Villa Valencia, a retirement community in Laguna Hills, Calif.

Mr. Beaver grew up on a farm in Hightstown, N.J., and in New York City and earned a bachelor's degree from City College of New York. During World War II, he served in the Army Corps of Engineers in the South Pacific. He was stationed in New Caledonia and Bougainville, where his unit's construction of a tennis court made news back in the United States, said his son, Joel.

Mr. Beaver encountered the heat of battle when he was deployed to the Philippines to build roads during the invasion of Luzon in January 1945. He and his crew worked under heavy enemy fire, and he was severely wounded.

He returned to the United States, married Jacqueline Stember, and spent months in a military hospital in West Virginia recovering from his injuries.

He and his wife - who met at a resort on Copake Lake in the Berkshire Mountains, where they would later own a summer home - corresponded during the war. Their son said that, when his father asked his mother to marry him, he sent her a mahogany box from the South Pacific. Inside was a seashell that bore his college ring.

His bride had worked in the garment industry in New York. After the war, she introduced her husband to contacts there, and he established Jackie Lynne Originals, a dress manufacturer. In 1955, he became a sales representative for Caldwell Casuals in Philadelphia and moved his family to Bala Cynwyd. He and his wife became early members of Main Line Reform Temple Beth Elohim in Wynnewood, and he served on the temple's board.

In the late 1960s, Mr. Beaver, who had always followed the stock market, became a financial adviser. He was associated with Lehman Bros. when he retired in the late 1980s.

He and his wife moved to California in the early 1990s to be close to their daughter, Bonnie, and two granddaughters.

He is survived by his wife, son, daughter, and two granddaughters.

A graveside service and burial will be at 1 p.m. July 8 at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va.